Gifu head to Mitsuzawa on Sunday looking to arrest a sequence of four games without a win.
Gifu will have selection issues for this game. First one will be is Hiroaki Namba fit enough to face his former club? He had a slight injury last week, and Tomohiro Tanaka got the start. Tanaka showed some nice flashes, but a fit NMB 24 will probably be in the starting line up. The second one will be whether any midfield changes are needed, especially ones which will help with some defensive cover. Otherwise, Stipe is still injured and will miss out.
Yokohama meanwhile are coming off a bit of a rough patch too, having lost their last two games. Both of them were 1-0 defeats, away in Fukuoka and last week at home to Roasso Kumamoto. They have an even record of two wins, two draws and two defeats this year:
- 0-0 Ehime (H)
- 1-1 Tochigi SC (A)
- 2-1 Kataller Toyama (A)
- 2-1 Montedio Yamagata (H)
- 0-1 Avispa Fukuoka (A)
- 0-1 Roasso Kumamoto (H)
By all accounts they have played decently at times this year, but maybe the sucker punch defeat in Fukuoka affected them in their defeat last week. Whenever I’ve seen Yokohama in the past, they’ve been a very compact team. They try to keep things narrow and hope that their attacking midfielders can support their (usual) lone forward. Kurotsu & Ronaldo have been in and out of the team, but they can still provide a spark when needed
Head to head record at Mitsuzawa:
- 2009: Yokohama FC 1-1 FC Gifu
- 2010: Yokohama FC 2-0 FC Gifu
- 2011: Yokohama FC 1-1 FC Gifu
- 2012: Yokohama FC 3-2 FC Gifu
- 2013: Yokohama FC 2-2 FC Gifu
As with most teams Gifu face, the head to head doesn’t look too encouraging. However, if you are looking for positives it is that Gifu have scored twice on their previous two visits to the port city. Two more goals this weekend will do very nicely.
Football Lab predicted line ups:
- FC Gifu: Kawaguchi, Nogaito, Alex Santos, Abe, Kitani, Ota, Miyazawa, Mizuno, Takachi, Nazarit, Tomohiro Tanaka
- Yokohama FC: Minami, Koike, Douglas, Nogami, Nakajima, Terada, Sato, Uchida, Nozaki, Onose, Park
* One thing I would say about this predicted Gifu line up is if Hiroaki Namba is fully fit, I would expect him to start ahead of Tanaka.