Want to know the latest goings on with FC Gifu? Really? OK, but it is isn’t pretty reading (due to the content, not my archaic literary style).

FC Gifu 0-1 Montedio Yamagata

Once again, Gifu failed to impress in front of a large home crowd. There were over 8,000 in attendance for this game due to the offer of free tickets for Gifu city residents. The home side actually started quite well, but fell behind to a first half penalty, conceded when Go Iwase brought down a Yamagata forward just inside the left edge of the penalty area. Iwase was beaten by the flight of the ball over him, and clattered the Yamagata player down as he was looking to get back & clear it. Diego – your architypal “big man” – made no mistake from the spot to put Montedio in front.

After that, it was more-or-less all Gifu as we strived to find an equalizer. Evandro had a couple of good chances, Tatsuya Tanaka directed a Mizuno shot wide, Leo Mineiro missed a couple of chances too. All in all, a very frustrating afternoon, but the performance was actually ok. And there was nothing to suggest what lay in store for the visit of V-Varen Nagasaki……


FC Gifu 2-4 V-Varen Nagasaki

Yikes, where to start? Well, how about at the start? Ramos selected a, shall we call it “brazen” line up that included Taisuke Mizuno at right back. Given that Mizuno is a ball playing midfielder, it probably wasn’t going to end well. And it didn’t.

Three minutes in, Nagasaki took the lead when Takasugi found himself completely unmarked in the area and volleyed in. Four minutes later, Ryo Nagai doubled the lead, punishing a defensive lapse. Gifu were given hope when Leo Mineiro converted a penalty after nine minutes, but Nagai restored the two goal cushion in the 14th minute. Ryo Takiya’s header again breathed life into Gifu and after that goal Gifu had a spell of really good football with Leo Mineiro hitting the bar and forcing the Nagasaki keeper into a great save.

Unfortunately, Gifu’s defending once again let them down as Ryo Nagai spanked home a volley to make it 2-4. That would be the HT score AND the end of the scoring full stop.

It marked the fourth time this year that Gifu have conceded four goals, and the second time it has happened at home. In those two games, against Consadole Sapporo & Nagasaki, all four goals have come in the first half. It really fills me negativity – I can’t understand why the same mistakes are being committed over & over again. Another source or my pessimism is the fact that both Keiji Takachi & Daiki Tamori went off injured in the first half and both look doubtful for Wednesday’s trip to Tokyo Verdy – if not for longer.

It is going to be a huge test for Gifu’s resilience on Wednesday. Another defeat would make it four in a row heading into a Sunday showdown with glamour boys Cerezo Osaka. Honestly, I’d be very happy with a 0-0 draw, but I can’t see it happening.

Fingers crossed…..